Digital resources

Homeschool Freebie of the Day is sharing this Green Thumb family upload deal today.  For $17 dollars you can get a whole bunch of gardening related books uploaded.
I don't like digital books.  I'm not a kindle person.  I like books with pages.  Yes, they take up more space, but I just really prefer them.
But my point is, that while browsing the selection included in the upload, the The Children's Book of Gardening by Mrs. Alfred Sidgwick & Mrs. Paynter 
caught my eye.   I like antique books alot.  This one was published in 1909 and has gorgeous pictures, so I decided to look online to see if the hardcopy book is available to buy anywhere.  And found one for $72. . . .and another for $89.  THEN I found that archive.org has the entire thing available for free on their webpage.  So it's not a real tangible book, but it is so in my price range!  Infact, there are many resources online where you can find digitalized copies of old books.

The girls and I walked to the dollar store this morning to gather craft supplies for Easter crafts.  They didn't have pipe cleaners.  They didn't have feathers.  No white string, sticky backed magnets, brads, thin ribbons or mittens.  We got googley eyes and foam sheets (instead of felt because the only felt sheets they had were Christmas colors).  It was rather disappointing.  I miss California dollar stores.

Then we went to the park and played for about half an hour.

Now I'm trying to gather all my gardening notes and plans together so I can feel less haphazard.

The girls have been extremely whiney and weepy lately.  Mr. Man says maybe they don't feel good.  I say we should sell them.  Just Kidding.

We did end up making. . ."masks" out of paper plates.  Not an Easter craft, but Drama Queen is quite delighted.  Mischief just loved glueing lots of eyes to her paper plate.

Now I'm going to scoop an ice cream cone for Drama Queen because she ate all her leftover pizza and her grapes which were her lunch.

Did you know I'm a professional ice cream scooper?  It makes me very picky about ice cream scoops. . . .thankfully someone got us the one on our wedding registry because it's about the closest to the scoops at Disneyland that I could find.  I suppose I could check a restaurant supply store though.  But I'm happy with the one we have.  Now if only I had a freezer that could hold the big tubs of ice cream because these little ones just don't allow the right movement.

It's a profession.  Really.  Look it up.  (So just kidding.  It is included in "Culinary Hostess" though, as that was my "official" title).

So the kids and I played outside for a bit.  I measured the garden plots so I can start planning more.

Mr. Man took out the trash and put away the clean dishes.  I loaded the dishwasher and set it running.
Did two loads of laundry.  Took a nap.  Wanted a steak.  Ate cheese on tortillas with salsa.
Organized my seed packets alphabetically.
Started putting together a garden binder.  I'm being a professional about it, eh?
I'll go to the library tomorrow to get gardening books again.  As my notes from before have disappeared.

Started watching Bones from the very beginning again.  Happy to not remember most of it.

Mr. Man doesn't know where his graph paper is, so I was frustrated about not being able to make a pretty garden plan, then remembered our fancy schmancy print can print graph paper on request.  It's so smart!

Comments

Jennifer said…
Abby--I may not always comment but I do enjoy reading your blog. I like to see what you are up to. I have to admit I try to model a lot of what I do with my daughter after you. I envy that you have the time to do homemade crafts and bake with your girls. I hope one day I can share in that. If you want I have a grip of pipe cleaners and colored felt from leftover projects I can stick in my box (almost ready to send to you) so that you have um. Let me know :)
Myhouse4nine said…
Hey Abby, We started planting our cold weather peas. Just a suggestion from class soak peas in a bowl of water before you plant them it helps them to germinate faster.
3rdtimeMom said…
Thanks for letting me know! I'll get mine soaking! How long do you soak them for?

Popular Posts