Ponderings - VBAC

I was willing to just go with the doctor's no VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) policy even though he had never met me or heard my medical history.  It was just the easy thing, you know?  I'm a people pleaser.  Then I watched Pregnant in America on Netflix and remembered how horrible recovery from the unnecesarean was.  That's right, I've joined the unnecesarean club.  The doctor who delivered Mischief didn't even give me any other options.  It was later (okay, today) that I learned doctors can TURN posterior babies. He never tried to do that.  She wasn't a massive baby, my contractions were still mild, not forcing her down at all, my water had just gushed, that's all.  I'm certain she had room that she could have moved had I been told it was a possibility and what to do or if he had even tried.
Yes, two years later I am still very bitter about that cesarean section.  Most of it comes from feeling lied to.  He had me absolutely convinced that if I tried to deliver her vaginally, she'd break her neck or arm or both.  Made me feel like it'd be selfish and oh so dangerous to disagree with him.


After watching Pregnant in America and The Business of Being Born, I got to researching and looking into things and I really don't know how the doctor I'm currently seeing (and no I haven't gone to the same Obgyn for any of my girls, we've moved so much) came up with my having a one in four chance of major MAJOR VBAC complications  due to the fact that my water breaks before labor begins and usually at 38 or 39 weeks.


So I've been researching information and finding that even The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has changed their stance to saying, "Attempting a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) is a safe and appropriate choice for most women who have had a prior cesarean delivery, including for some women who have had two previous cesareans" 
Though doctors will tell you the dangers of a VBAC, how many cover the dangers of a cesarean?  Another quote from The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists:
"Both repeat cesarean and a TOLAC [Trial Of Labor After Cesarean] carry risks including maternal hemorrhage, infection, operative injury, blood clots, hysterectomy, and death. Most maternal injury that occurs during a TOLAC happens when a repeat cesarean becomes necessary after the TOLAC fails. A successful VBAC has fewer complications than an elective repeat cesarean while a failed TOLAC has more complications than an elective repeat cesarean."


I have decided to talk to a local hospital based midwife group about a VBAC.  Since we will be switching to Medicaid after this month (yes I know we should have applied sooner as it take at least two months to kick in) I figure now is as good a time as any to look into second opinions.  The doctor I am seeing now does take Medicaid.  But I really don't like that VBACs aren't even an option with him and he has the older view that a VBAC is a death sentence for mother and baby.


I am praying about it.  I just get so confused because Mr. Man is against it.  He's been against natural birth since the beginning of our marriage.  I wanted to try a full natural birth with Drama Queen, but when you're in the worst pain you have ever ever been in and your husband is there telling you to just get the epidural and how you'll have no pain at all then, you are certainly going to give in.  And yes, I was grateful for the epidural.  It was marvelous.  But now Mr. Man is thrilled with the prospect of knowing exactly when we'll have the baby and has no doubts at all about what the doctor said but rather looks at me as though I've grown a third eye, when I talk about wanting a VBAC still.  My other main issue is that I really do like the Dr. I'm seeing. I just wish he'd at least give the option of a VBAC.  If he did I'd declare that I'd found the perfect doctor.


And now I'm going to make him watchin Pregnant in America much to his horror. 
UPDATE:  He made it through the first 40 minutes before he was done.  He is open to finishing it later.  It is a long documentary and not the kind of documentary he likes.  BUT  within those 40 min, I felt him relax a bit and now he's pondering if it's possible that my post partum depression was a side effect of my epidural (I don't think so, but I'm happy he's thinking) and he thinks midwives are great, but thinks they should have their own place at a hospital without doctor interference.  Oh happy day because I'm calling American Fork Midwives today!  They're a hospital based midwife group.  :)

Comments

seth said…
Yes, it would be convenient to know when the baby is coming, but at least you've had more than 45 minutes advance notice. Hopefully Amanda will chime in here with midwife commentary.
fogo said…
I was totally going to do a VBAC with #3, but she desided to also be breech reason for the 1st c-section. I know about 5 people just in my ward that have done VBAC;s. I would definately want to be in the hopsital, due to the risks. Good luck on the hunt. I am sure that there are many doctors in the area that will do them. It is actually quiet common.I think I would change my doctor too.
TopHat said…
I hope the American Fork midwives work for you! Happy pregnancy vibes to you!
~Jenn said…
Being empowered with information and choices is half the battle. Don't be afraid to stick up for what you want. Have you looked into the Bradley method or hypnobirthing? There is a lot of free info out there on different ways to manage pain during labor. I hope you have a healthy pregnancy and an easy delivery!
Burnhams said…
ok, so I totally understand if you dont post this comment, but I cant think of a nice way to say it. Tell Mr. Man to go jump in a freaking lake. it is your body. He shouldn't have told you to take the epidural. *sigh* I am glad that the part he watched lightened him up a bit. I had severe PPD with Cardon and the birth was so far off of what I wanted. I had mild issues with K and mild issues with T, very mild. and guess what? the birth was how I wanted (ok so not really T, but that is another story) anyway medical interventions= ppd. no medical interventions= no ppd. hmmm... Now I am not saying this is right for everybody. but it was how it worked for me. you should be able to have the birth you want without Mr Man telling you how it should be. yes it is his baby too. but there are risks to a c-section and there are risks to a vbac, so either way there are risks. Mr. man needs to be a man and let you do the birthing. just saying.
Kira =] said…
So awesome he is thinking and considering other things. Educating is the only way to make an INFORMED decision. My c-sections were necessary, but I had a SUPER hard time accepting it. By #3 I was okay with never having my natural birth and then I got told I couldn't have any more. I did my own research on it and found it to be true. It's taken me 2 1/2 years to come to terms with that as well.

One of the moms in my local playgroup had a VBAC after 2 c-sections. She was the first in the hospital to ever do that, but she did her research and informed the doctor and stuck to her guns.

Oh, continue praying about it (especially for you & MrMan to be on the same page) and get a blessing.

Popular Posts