Tutu Tuesday - Reader participation wanted!

While the girls did get to spend Saturday in the dirt, it's been raining since and they've been stuck inside.  At least on Sunday they had cousins to play with.  Today they drew and we ran errands, and then while Mischief took a nap Daddy and Aunt Audrey played with Drama Queen.  Which was more of Daddy and Aunt Audrey playing with the toys while Drama Queen looked on and uttered an occasional, you guys are crazy! It was rather entertaining.  DQ is now off to spend the night at her cousin's house, we'll see how this first sleepover goes, and I actually don't know where Mischief has gone off to, so I'd better go find out.

Okay, got her and shut her in the computer room with me, she is thoroughly entertained with a box of micro-machines now. 

Grandma Jo mentioned today that I'm going to have my hands full with Drama Queen when she's a teenager.  And she don't seem to envy me none!  I really don't know how my mom did it.  Growing up, I knew you did NOT talk back to mom.   Drama Queen is a little Miss Sassy Pants.  She talks back to anyone and everyone and doesn't understand why it's not something she should be doing.  She's one of those people who doesn't have a filter, she just says whatever. 
Grandma Jo reminded her for the 20th time (and that was just reminders from G. Jo, not counting the ones from mom, dad, and Aunt Audrey) to sit right at the table and eat over her plate.  "WHY?" DQ asks, with a less than pleasant attitude.  "Because otherwise you make a mess on the floor," G. Jo tells her.  What does sassy pants say to grandma?  "What if I want to make a mess."  To which, and I love this, Grandma Jo tells her, "Then you're going to be learning to mop real quick."

Which leads me to a scenario that wasn't exactly back talking but that I was wondering what ya'll would have done/said, cause I know this is just the beginning.

Last night I put Drama Queen to bed and she was up 20 min. later to get a drink.  On her way back to bed, she tells Mischief to come with her.  Mr. Man overheard and told her no, it was not Mischief's bedtime, DQ needed to get back to bed now.  She says, "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy." and heads off down the hall, where I hear her call a stage whisper to Mischief, "hey, come on, you can sleep with me!"  I reminded her that NO.  Mischief was NOT going to bed with her, she needed to obey dad and get in bed NOW. 
She gives me a dirty look and climbs into her sleeping bag.  As I'm shutting the door she says with an attitude, "Mom, why are you so mean?"

Your response to this is. . . .?  Leave comments!  I really want to know what ya'll would have done!

Comments

Burnhams said…
WE have a sassy mouth too. She's 3. The 5.5 year old started with the "mean" We tell him that we aren't mean, we are parents and good parents have rules wether the kids like them or not. Same thing every time. he has stopped saying it so much because he is used to the response. as far as the sassy mouth 3 year old goes, well I am hoping someone has some comments on this. we have been putting her in time out for talking that way... but it isnt helping...
Laurel said…
Well, to me that's not so much talking back as a teaching moment. Maybe the way she said it was very sassy. Anyway, I think I would have said something like, "I love you very much, and that is why I am teaching you to obey. Heavenly Father sent you to me so that I could take care of you and teach you to follow Him. I want you to go to sleep now because I know your body needs sleep to grow and be healthy. I am teaching you to obey Daddy because I want to show you now the right things to do, so that when you grow up you'll know how to act and what to do and you can follow Heavenly Father and be happy. When I discipline you, I do it because I love you and not to be mean."

Also, depending on her attitude I may have given her a time out before this little talk happened w/ apologies to Daddy for not obeying and to Mommy for talking back.

Right now at our house we are working on obeying FIRST and THEN asking "Why?"
Julianna said…
In my house sarcasim rules. Most of the time, I agree with them. The standard "Yup. I'm the worst Mom ever." gets them to knock it off. My oldest has actually followed up with, "No you're not Mom, You're the best MOm ever."

I remember one day a few years back, youngest was telling me all about his latest "weapon" that he wanted to make. When I told him no, he got irrate, screaming "MURDERER" thoughout the house. The windows were open and I know the neighbors heard. :)

I asked him what I had murdered...

"MY DREAMS!!!!"... and he stompted off to his room.

We still laugh about it. :)
Shannon said…
I would have said, "You're right. It's my job to be mean and teach you to be obedient. Good night sweet girl."
sleepless said…
"Because Heavenly Father said it is my job to teach you correctly " The scriptures say for moms and dads to train up a child in the way they should go" I have to follow Heavely Father and the scriptures because I want to live with Him again some day."
Mary said…
You guys are FUNNY! I do think you're going to have your work cut out for you though! You have to remember, though, that you were kind of a dreamy, quiet little kid. Not everybody in your family was like that (somehow your mom and Shannon come to mind). They were pretty spunky, tell-it- like-it-is type kids! Maybe she will be like that! You have to keep in mind, tho, that they turned out pretty darned good!
Mary said…
Why do I always need the blog owner's approval? I feel like I'm on probation. Otherwise I might talk to you more often!
Heather said…
Abby, this sounds like a normal girl.
Well, at least normal for my six year old daughter. My other one isnt as mouthy. It just depends on their personalities. It sounds like you handled it wonderfully, I usually am not one to handle it the best, but 90% of the time I am the only adult present all day long(so I lose my cool a bit). I usually have time outs for talking back to me and then she has to apologize, we give hugs, go on our way. But it still happens nonstop when she is home with me :)
3rdtimeMom said…
Aunt Mary, I'm sorry you feel like you're on probation! All comments are sent to my email first because I tend to get "key word" spam comments. Like if I say facebook, I get ads for likely nonligetiment facebook links.
Maybe Drama Queen could be asked to define what she means by 'mean' ... which opens up the discussion and thus helps to promote understanding ...

... and if its any comfort, I'm 43 and still have that sassy mouth I also had when I was five ...
Mandi said…
I went to school for this very thing for years. It worked well when I worked in daycares, preschool or babysat. It is very different when it is my own kid. In the moment I get short, angry and get angrier than I should. Here is what I SHOULD be doing: don't let her see you upset. Remain calm (easier said then done) and keep your cool! insert any thing you want (advice on here is awesome) but something else is never ever name call. Don't call her mean, a brat, a stinker, naughty, rude, etc. They said that has long term damage that may seem like no big deal to us. But can really hurt them. The attitude IS a stage and she may feed off you getting upset. Another thing I was taught: ignore annoying but harmless behavior. you can't ignore it all and pretend she is doing NOTHING wrong but you can't call her on every single sassy thing she says. All she will hear is- man my mom is always mad at me, I am trying to find my personality, find my place, find mommy's button and push it all while trying to learn and grow. Does that make sense? Like I said -easier said than done. baby steps. but you two totally can find a common ground and when she sees she isn't getting a reaction from everyone with her sass.... it will die down. good luck!!
Freth Stifter said…
Marry,
And sometimes there are some downright obnoxious people making very snide and rude comments ... this allows the administrator (Abby) to filter those out (delete them) before they get posted.

I had to resort to that due to someone making really snotty comments, because that was the only way they could feel good about themself -- by dragging others down.

Popular Posts