The jargon in this may confuse some.

Mr. Man says I'm just fine and not alone in my frustration and irritation with what they did at church today.  For at least three different last Sundays of the month this year they have had joint meetings per the stake's request.  The other two I remember were understandable.  The first was in regard to child safety at home and at church.  Safety against child abuse of many sorts as well as a change to how freely the children can wander the building (not at all).  The next that I recall was on addiction and how the church has programs to help with addiction recovery and going to the bishop to repent etc.  Understandable.
But today?  Really?  It was A FUNDRAISER FOR FRIENDS OF SCOUTING.  I was royally ticked and endured most of it by sitting and planning this week's routine ( having a routine being a recommendation of Taming the Spirited child) and reading the first few chapters of Genesis.  But when they got around to mentioning the cards they had passed out, which I chose not to get one, I had to get up and leave.  The cards were for donations to Friends of Scouting.  Don't get me wrong.  I think scouting is a great program.  But to use the last hour of church to solicit donations from the ward is ridiculous.  I come to church to learn about the gospel and be uplifted.  Not to be asked for money for the boys to continue going to camp.  And as I pointed out to Mr. Man on the way home, why is it, that the girls have to raise money themselves for their girls camp, and yet the boys get to hand out donation cards?
So I'm trying trying trying to be understanding and not too offended that the ward did this.  It's not the ward's fault though, it was a stake wide thing apparently.
Did I mention I have three girls and won't be involved in scouting unless Mr. Man gets some calling to it?  I have no problem supporting it despite the lack of involvement our family will have, but dude, raise your own money, don't take away my church time to solicit donations.

In other news we'll be going to dinner at someone's house today.  We were supposed to go to a different family's house but they found out yesterday that one of their kids has Hand, Foot, Mouth disease and so that had been put on hold.

Pain pain lots of pain.  In my back.  really it's not so cool.  I think I will get off facebook games and go lay down until Mr. Man's meeting is over which is when we'll go over to the family's house for dinner.  I'm trying to not be intimidated by this event cause it's the gal Sara who I've mentioned here before and how fabulous she is, who has invited us over.  She's also going to throw a baby shower for me.

Comments

Heather said…
Good use of your time in there, reading scriptures. I definitely concur, girls programs aren't supported as much as the boys. I think it is a great thing to work hard for the means to do fun trips. Cause that's what camp-outs are, fun.
Myhouse4nine said…
Hey I think it happens only once a year. I know they used to do it in Va, but I've never been out of primary here to find out if they do it here. Sorry it ticked you off, it really wasn't of benefit for you, but some boy out there might appreciate it when his family can't afford to help him go to camp.
sleepless said…
So sorry church was the pits. So sorry your back hurts !! That last month is a real killer on your body !! Enjoy your friendly dinner invitation !..NICE !
Freth Stifter said…
That use of Priesthood/Relief Society time does NOT sound appropriate to me. Certainly not according to the handbook.

We held a cake auction on a Friday evening with the proceeds split between boys camp and girls camp.
Sleepy said…
Friends of Scouting does not fund the Ward Scouting program it funds the Boy Scouts of America. Boy Scouts still have to do fund raisers like the girls do.
Sleepy said…
We've had it mentioned but someone is called specifically to solicit donations (or they have the home teachers do it during home teaching visits). Bottom-linen is that once United Way stopped supporting BSA funds have become scarce.
3rdtimeMom said…
Still, does that warrant taking the entire third hour to tell the ward about the need for donations? Jordan and I were talking about it and agree that they could have easily done a brief 10 min go over about it and then go on with something spiritual rather spend an hour with someone from the bishopric telling us why we should donate money and how the money will be used (upkeep of the camps the scouts use).
Burnhams said…
yeah, totally a waste of time. A few minutes, yes, not a whole hour. sorry that stinks :(
TopHat said…
That would have made me mad, too!
Kira =] said…
Our stake has an elephant ear booth that is run by the different wards (and we are spaced far out) that is only run during the National Peanut Festival. Half the money earned goes to YW and the other half goes to the YM. That's how we do our fundraising down here.

I agree- that should have been a mass email, or a small afterwards meeting to let everyone know, not taken precedence over Priesthood & Relief Society.

We grew up on a tight budget and there are 6 boys in our family that my parents sent to scout camp. My brothers had to go mow lawns, etc. to earn the money my parents didn't have in their budget.

Popular Posts