Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Kindergarten!

Today was the first day of Kindergarten! We walked.  Or rather Mommy walked, wearing the baby and pushing the double stroller.  We got to the school and waited (mommy doesn't have a watch so we left the house 35 minutes before school started).
 There were about a dozen other kindergarteners and their parents and younger siblings standing around.  Drama Queen asked me, "Mom, why is everyone's parents taking pictures?"  It made me laugh and I explained to her that the first day of school was a big day for parents too.
 Slowly kids started to show up for school including the primary president's daughter (a first grader) who spotted DQ, ran over, and gave her a "First day of school hug".




 She was rather over my taking pictures and probably wanted me to leave.





 Finally she got to line up with her class.  That of course is when we started noticing the papers they were holding and realized we forgot her "About Me" page we were supposed to bring.  Ooops. I told DQ she could bring it tomorrow and she was okay with that until more kids showed up and I saw her standing there so quietly looking at the floor and occasionally peeking up and realized she was trying not to cry.  I asked her if she wanted me to hurry home for it and she said yes.  So off the little girls and I went, didn't get to see her go inside.
 On the way home I realized just how out of shape I was and made up a slow song to go with every shuffle of my feet that went "I'm going to die.  I'm going to die.  So this is how I'm going to die."   When we got home, I called my sister-in-law who so kindly gave us a ride back to the school and then to my visiting teaching appointment.  After my VT appointment with the fabulous Heather, it was time to head to the school to pick up DQ.   We got there more quickly than I expected so Mischief played on the grass in front of the school for about 15 minutes.  Then we had our Kindergartener back!

She had a great day and loved it.  She colored and practiced drawing straight lines.  They sat on the rug and they played on the playground.  She made a friend but he didn't tell her his name.  And she has requested her hair be in two braids tomorrow.

3 comments:

Eddie n Sandy Plummer said...

So cute!!! Awesome pictures!!!
Oh to be in kindergarten again!!!

Sleepy said...

Thanks for sharing !! Love the photos !!

Laurel said...

She is looking very grown up! Have a great year, DQ!