Last night went like this. . .
The girls and I were sitting in the tv room watching Rapunzel (Timeless Treasures) for the last time because the dialogue kills me.  When it was done, Mischief was put to bed (asleep instantly) and DQ put on Bear in the Big Blue house.  I promptly had trouble keeping my eyes open, and decided I should go to sleep if I was that tired.
So Hazel and I went to bed at 6pm. . .and woke up at 9pm.  DQ was asleep in bed and Mr. Man was lying in the Man Cave listening to the latest of Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books.  I was pleased to discover I had some energy and so got started tracing and cutting patterns, as DQ will be in kindergarten in like 23 days (not soon enough in any of our opinions).  After an hour I was ready to go back to bed, but Hazel Mae had a different idea.  An idea that required both mommy and daddy taking turns trying to figure out how to make her happy, and if possible to get her to sleep.  In the end she decided she wanted to be awake until 2am.  When she finally went from crying loudly to peacefully asleep in a mere moment.  Really, how DO babies do that?  I was pleased to then be able to go to bed. . .only to be woken by Mischief an hour later.  A sopping wet Mischief.  Seems that her waterproof mattress cover does indeed cause her to sweat.  Lovely.  Wish I'd had those warnings BEFORE we washed it.  So I changed her diaper, got her a drink and told her to go back to bed.  Ya, that didn't work. Third time was the charm to get Mr. Man up to deal with her.  I then got to sleep in until 8am, when I was coherant enough to notice our bedroom door was closed.  THAT only happens when DQ is up to something she knows she shouldn't be doing.  It took 2 hours to discover what she'd been up to. . . .she'd gone into the man cave and hunted around until she found a stash of candy daddy had left over from Easter.  We discovered it by the fact that she left the stash out on his bed and Mischief kept appearing with candy, so I found the basket of candy on the guest bed, made a comment to Mr. Man about leaving candy where the kids can get it (that's right my kids don't get candy except for Sunday's from the Bishop pretty much) and he defended himself with the news that he hadn't left candy out and knew exactly where that candy was supposed to be.  That lead to a discussion with DQ and she admitted she'd gotten it, and thus she lost the chance to go to the gym pool with dad.

Hazel is asleep on my bed.  DQ is doing activities in the Friend magazine.  Mr. Man and Mischief are at the gym.  I'm going to make me some breakfast now.  Yes, it's actually lunchtime but it feels as though it's barely 8 or 9 in the morning.

Comments

sleepless said…
Ah yes, you are learning the joys of motherhood. Just remember they are not accountable for their actions until age 8. I would be kind....and don't sweat the small stuff.
AbigailDawn said…
I knwo they're not accountable until age of 8 but if we dont correct them and guide them now, then what's the point? We can't just let them run amuck and do what they damn well please until they turn 8 and then suddenly throw all these rules and guidelines at them.
Sleepy said…
Yes you do need to set limits and rules that they need to learn to follow. But remember that they are little are still learning the do's and don't's. Love them, correct them (see D&C 121) gentleness persuasion, long-suffering, etc. They will turn out to be terrific adults if you nurture them and treat them as individuals and God's daughters, they were His first. (Just as you were and we are glad he is sharing you with us.)

Love you!

Popular Posts