Thursday, September 1, 2011

Why I'm against wood chips for playground padding....

 Drama Queen fell from the monkey bars during recess today.  The school called after she had gone back to class, to let me know and to tell me I could pick her up early if I wanted.  She got a cut on her neck they said.  The nurse cleaned it up and put on a bandaid.  It's "like a puncture wound from a vampire with one fang"....."it looks like there'll be some bruising" is what they said to me.  They told her they were going to call her mom and she started crying.  I know the reason she was crying........she didn't want to go home!  Anyway, after school I picked her up (from the office because I've been thinking all along that school is out at 12:15 and it's actually out at 12:05, no wonder she was like the last kid left yesterday.  And the only kid today hence why she was in the office).  In my head their description of her battle wound, as I call it, was of one wound.  Not THREE separate injuries.  They also told me that the teacher had been watching and didn't see her hit anything as she fell.  But as DQ was telling me what happened, her words were that she fell down and "the big boy in the green shirt told me I was bleeding" so then she went to the teacher.   Huh.
DQ is handling it pretty well though.  This is the worst injury she's had, as I am a paranoid mommy and keep a very close eye on my kids so they don't get hurt (though Mischief is not the easiest in the keeping from getting hurt category).  Since today was payday I took DQ to Sonic for a corn dog, apple slices, and a strawberry fruit slush.  I say she deserves it.

7 comments:

Laurel said...

Good thing kids heal fast!

sleepless said...

Not fun ! Sorry that happened ! !

sleepless said...

oh yay..Sonic here I come, tomorrow !

Princess Abigail said...

It certainly does look like Count Dracula has had a good go at her throat there! Poor Maddie ... tell her we are sending her powerful pink fluffy vibes of healing to help her get better.

Princess Abigail said...

ps: nice bow! Have I seen it before somewhere???

Burnhams said...

WOW! That bruising doesnt look like wood chips. It looks like she hit something. I take it there is another wound under the bandaid?

Kira =] said...

I. would. have. FREAKED!

yeah, not a fan of wood chips either. They use a recycled rubber mat at all the playgrounds here.