Ava's Berry Breakfast Cake


I enjoy "coffee" cakes, though I've never understood the anme.  That could be because I didn't grow up around coffee.  I assume the name comes from the cake being eaten for breakfast with coffee.  Here we call it breakfast cake, and yesterday I found a delicious recipe on pinterest for Cranberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake
This morning I modified it so that Mischief could eat it as well.  Before I share our new recipe, here is our gluten-free flour mix ratio:
  • 2 parts white rice flour
  • 2/3 part potato starch
  • 1/3 part tapioca starch
And now, without further adieu, Ava's Berry Breakfast Cake

½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp orange zest
1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups gluten-free flour mix
1 tsp. xanthan gum
2 tb. lecithin powder
2 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh berries (yes, even cranberries-that's the only berry we had)
½ cup buttermilk (I keep a container of buttermilk powder in my fridge. It's totally a worthwhile purchase)
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with orange zest and 1 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.

2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the cranberries with 2 tablespoons of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, xanthan gum, lecithin powder, baking powder and salt.

3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the cranberries.

4. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar, the only 9" pan I have is a round springform) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 40 minutes, then check for doneness by touching the top gently or by inserting a toothpick. If necessary, return pan to oven, check every five minutes or so — it took my cake a little bit over 45 minutes to cook. (Note: Baking for as long as 50 minutes might be necessary, especially if you made the batter in advance.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

It was a hit! Mischief ate 2 pieces. Lest you think it's not something you'd eat voluntarily, Drama Queen and Mr. Man ate 3 pieces each. It was good enough that I sent Drama Queen next door with a piece as a Mother's day gift to the neighbor. This will be a new staple in our house!

Comments

sleepless said…
It looks very impressive and delicious !! It is wonderful you found a good one !!!
Burnham's said…
what is lecithin powder? and someone posted on pintrest buying buttermilk (I usually make my own) and freezing it in icecube trays which are about 2 tablespoons I think...
Juli said…
That. Looks. Fabulous.

I will have to try this this weekend.

Popular Posts