The yard

Our yard and garden have been on my mind a lot lately.  As well as what we eat.  I'm grateful that summer is coming and soon we will have easy access to fresh local and organic produce.  I'm going to get a good work out riding down to the farmer's market when it starts in July.  I plan to do our grocery shopping weekly from it. I need to get another planter or two so I can plant lettuce and herbs and beets, things that you replant constantly.  Anyway, this morning I finished planting what we'll be doing in the yard this year, not as much as I had ambitiously hoped for, but we'll (hopefully) have plenty of tomatoes.

Here are our pepper plants, three varieties, plus garlic and onions, and weeds.  I'll pull those out tonight.
 Zucchini and yellow squash and weeds at the very edges.
 Tomatoes and sunglare.  And the dying bulb greens from our daffodils.  And some flowers the neighbor gave me that don't seem to like me.
 Yellow and Red Wonder Wild Strawberries from Bakers Creek  and a watermelon plant.
 So I have grand plans of extending that planter more toward the porch.  Probably just two or three feet.
 Because I want to extend the front garden to the other end of the trailer, so almost to where the shadow hits.
 Another grand plan I have is that someday I'll grow grapes inbetween the carport supports.  Just one or two plants would be fine for me.   For now I have little planters (thanks BR) with ground cherries.  And empty formula cans that are supposed to be growing carrots, lettuce, and coriander (cilantro), but so far just look like they are growing weeds.  That's what happens when you use dirt from the yard...
 In the back garden here are the peas that have grown just a little bit.  They have a lot of blossoms right now, so I didn't rip them out.  Also there is the swiss chard, which I pull some leaves from occasionally to eat or pull off ones that look burnt.....and the cabbage which is growing great but has yet to start growing any solid heads....come on cabbage, I want to make kimchi!!
 This picture is before I pulled out the weeds and the dandelion that's not so appetizing.  One of the dandelions was nice and leafy, so it stayed.
 The Kohlrabi got pulled also. I though it might be a bok choy from last year, but turned out to be the kohlrabi root resprouting.  I didn't dig through root out after I harvested it last year and it regrew!  Too bad the family doesn't like kohrabi.
 After I pulled those things out I discovered a volunteer bean plant, and I planted cucumbers and watermelon.  Because I didn't label well enough and couldn't tell them apart.  I'm hoping we end up with mostly cucumbers since the watermelons never really seem to produce more than one for me.

 I've been paying more attention to our yard and am delighted to find that this northern part of the yard does seem to get sun almost all day, so I can plant in it!  I just need to decide what.  Our yard ends around where Mr. Man stopped mowing.  I think.
 Next year I'm going to grown Amaranth along the back of the house.  Amaranth is a grain. One that Mischief can eat.
 And again, I need to get brave and ask the neighbor if I can use his yard as everyone says he will be more than glad to let me..  He's a nice guy and doesn't do anything with his yard other than to hire someone to mow it.  He's kinda oldish.  In fact his age is the only reason Drama Queen decided she can't marry him.  oh that makes me laugh.  My marriage crazy child.

And that's the garden.  Mr. Man's request is raspberries.  I want blueberries.  The girls want a fruit bearing tree.  I suppose we could fence off the yard via berry bushes.... OOooo, maybe do berry bushes along the small stretch of land between our house and the above trailer house.  It's not growing grass too well. But where to buy them?  Baker Creek doesn't sell berry bushes.......:(

Comments

Juli said…
Love all your garden goodies. My neighbor doesn't do much with her lawn either, except let me mow it. :)
Myhouse4nine said…
hey Abby, Unfortunately we do not have a good climate or the right soil acidity for Blueberries, if you try to plant them you need to plant them in just peat moss,( like 2 feet deep) and they like to be damp. I've tried for the past 3 years and I think my blueberries may not make it. Raspberries do very well!!!!
Myhouse4nine said…
hey Abby, Unfortunately we do not have a good climate or the right soil acidity for Blueberries, if you try to plant them you need to plant them in just peat moss,( like 2 feet deep) and they like to be damp. I've tried for the past 3 years and I think my blueberries may not make it. Raspberries do very well!!!!

Popular Posts