Monday, September 16, 2013

Garden 2014

It's possible you'll remember my grand intentions for a magnificient garden back in March when I started a couple hundred seedlings.

Then most of those seedlings stopped growing.

Still in June I put them in the ground and a few decided to grow again...in July or August.

So I decided I'd post about our garden because I really haven't because it's mostly sad.

The girls have loved the fresh carrots from the garden though.  We will do carrots again next year, and more than we did this year.
Surprisingly growing onions from seed was successful and somewhat rewarding if only because I was excited I grew it myself.
And parsnips are yummy so I'm growing more of those next year as well.

We ended up with two tomato plants this year.  One a volunteer in the front garden, yellow pear tomatoes:
And in the back garden the only tomato I started that survived finally decided last month to bear two tomatoes.

The pepper plants stayed quite small until the end of July and then sudden grew and there are at least six peppers out there on the plants.

The other thing that did AWESOME this year is Basil.  Though my regular basil plant died due to being in a pot that I kept forgetting to water, the thai basil and opal basil plants in the back garden had happy healthy lives (until the storm two weekends ago when the trailer two over's roof blew onto them) and I've let them blossom because the bees love love love that.  

Up front our two ground cherry plants decided to sprawl after we pulled the purslane, and the girls love looking for ripe ground cherries every morning, even though they don't ripen as fast as the girls would like.

Mostly this year, we had flowers.  Lots of Marigolds and Calendulas.  Which has delighted the girls because I have no problem with flowers being picked after the first week of enjoying them.


Our Swiss chard did fairly well.  Our beets still haven't grown much.  And our eggplant just barely put out a blossom, so we won't be having any eggplant this year either.

 Thankfully our neighbor's garden has done very well and they very kindly share with us, as well as keep my girls entertained.

Mr. Man's thing this year has been learning to smoke meat.  Right now he's got a brisket on the grill with some chunks of hickory smoking away.

Maybe next year's garden will fair better.  Thanks to some help of Mr. Man's co-workers(helped via convincing him it's a good plan), we'll be doing some raised beds for the tomatoes next year.  Now if only someone could convince him to dig up the back so I could grow some popcorn....



No comments: