Saturday, February 8, 2014

Thrifting Thrills



I hope to make this a regular Saturday thing, of course that's wishful thinking we all know.  I went to the thrift store today in hope of finding shoes for Drama Queen.  Yesterday we were picking up daddy from work and Mischief wanted to try on shoes, so we headed to the shoe department just to pass the time and Drama Queen asked if she could take her shoes off because her toes hurt, and I said yes, and low and behold, her boots were obviously too small.  Not a ton to small, but a bit - and they are starting to widen it seems. My family has wide feet, so the fact these girls have had such slender feet has bewildered me some, guess it will change as they grow.
I am hunting for size 2s now.  And it is horribly difficult!  What is with this new trend of having foam soles?  I want shoes that will last through three children!  The local consignment shop had nothing, I also looked at Target, Payless, Old Navy, and Ross.  The few size 2 things I found either had characters (I hate licensed wear - except minnie mouse to a degree) were just plain ugly, were sandals, or they had foam soles.  We did get one pair of adorable boots at Target.  The thrift store had one pair of already dead converse.  But despite not finding the main reason I went, I did find two other things on my find it list.  Namely, fabric via sheets and Half Magic by Edward Eager.

An added delight was discovering these two books.  I had completely forgotten about the Ginnie series, and oh my goodness, how did I forget?!  I've read Ginnie and the Mystery Doll SO MANY TIMES!  I'm super excited to read it again.


And I'm totally adding another layer of denim to any of DQ's jeans for the rest of her life.  The knees are fine on these, but I'd like it to stay that way!

5 comments:

sleepless said...

What a fun day at the thrift store ! I will check at ours this week and see if there are any size 2s that might meet your qualifications...good books are fun !!

Katie Bell said...

Perfect vintage quilt!

Katie Bell said...

I totally meant sheet....Monday much?

Abigail said...

Seriously. I've been doing that all morning as well...

Laurel said...

I am not good at Thrifting, I think I am lacking in patience. I've also been told that I just don't know where the good Thrift stores are.